If you’ve been searching for the perfect paleo style appetizer to serve with dinner, then look no further. This sesame grissini recipe is a gluten-free alternative to regular grissini made entirely from scratch using all natural ingredients. It’s super quick to prepare and cook, and thanks to some carefully selected seasonings, incredibly tasty as well.
Grissinis, also known as breadsticks, originated from Turin, Italy, but are now served in many restaurants in North America. You can now also find these in supermarkets either pre-made or frozen, however they’re not nearly as good as fresh grissinis.
Homemade Dough That’s Totally Gluten-Free
It’s not just individuals with Celiac disease who can’t tolerate gluten; there are many, many people out there who have non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. (1) In fact, as we learn more about the gluten protein, it’s becoming apparent that in spite of the benefits grains had during the agricultural era, most of us are probably better off not including it in our diet. This is unfortunate because fresh-baked bread, breadsticks, and pretzels are some of my favorite things to eat. Especially sesame grissini!
Thankfully, I can still enjoy paleo-approved sesame grissini that’s also gluten-free thanks to this great recipe. The sticks are made out of homemade dough using almond meal, arrowroot flour, baking soda, salt, sesame seeds, dried thyme, and almond milk. You also have the option of adding granulated garlic for added flavor if you’d like. These ingredients make a perfect replacement for bread dough and grissini. Serve them with your favorite paleo-approved dipping sauce for an out of this world appetizer before dinner.
Paleo Grassini Flavor Ideas
This recipe will teach you how to make sesame grissini, however, there are many other variations that you could try. Garlic and chives, balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and tomato and basil would make great bases for these paleo dips:
1. Fresh and Easy Arugula Pesto
3. Spicy Avocado Dill Dressing
4. Easy Homemade Paleo Tomato Sauce
Even if you aren’t sensitive to gluten, you might end up feeling better by avoiding it altogether. That doesn’t mean that you have to give up delicious foods like bread or grissini though. Thanks to using all natural ingredients, you can make paleo-approved ingredient substitutions for just about anything you can think of. And despite what many people think, these “health foods” can actually be just as tasty as the original versions.
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup arrowroot (tapioca) flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sesame seeds plus extra for decoration
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp granulated garlic ( optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 1⁄4 cup almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients to make a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 10 balls and roll each ball into 4 inch long stick. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the grissini with extra olive oil and sprinkle with extra sesame seeds.
- Bake for 12- 15 minutes or until they are just starting to turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
PS. – If you’re looking for other paleo appetizers to mix things up a little bit, check out some of these great recipes featured on this list. It features everything from bacon wrapped olives to pumpkin nachos. You’ll end up with plenty of excellent ideas for your next meal.
Sesame Grissini Breadsticks (Crispy Gluten Free Snack)
Jess (Paleo Grubs)
Original source: http://paleogrubs.com/sesame-grissini-breadsticks